Monday, April 12, 2010

Library budget cuts

I've worked for the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system since I was a senior in high school in 1997.  While working my way through college and graduate school I moved to various positions in various branches - now having worked at 5 locations.  Every year the library struggles to convince the county to give us enough money to offer the wonderful services that we do.  This year there were pretty steep budget cuts before the 2009-2010 fiscal year started, but our system was able to keep all of our staff and maintain programs and hours and all 24 locations.  Then in March we were told that Mecklenburg county needed $2 million BACK - so at first the library board decided to shut down 12 of our 24 locations and lay off 140 staff.  At that time all 4 of the locations I had worked in would have been shut down - that was when I decided to go and visit all my old branches and take some pictures before they were closed.  Then due to the HUGE public outcry over this the library board changed their minds and decided to keep all 24 locations open with reduced hours and days of service.  They still laid off 120 staff with about 28 getting reinstated.  Due to the lay offs staff had to be redistributed around the system - the administration sent around a survey to see where you would be willing to work - I chose Mint Hill and University City (the closest locations to me).  Then I got a call that I was being reassigned to Freedom Regional.  Supposedly because I'm such a good employee I'm being reassigned to a crummy branch in a rough part of town.  So, now I'm working at my 5th location in the system and hoping and praying that I still have a job (preferably not at Freedom) past June of this year.  They are anticipating even more budget cuts for fiscal year 2010-2011 that starts in July.  I don't think there is any way all 24 locations will be kept open, but I'm still hoping I have a job somewhere.

I can honestly say that I NEVER thought things would get this bad in the library system.  I was under the impression that any county/state jobs were much more secure than the private sector.  I fully expected to retire from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system in 19 more years, but now I don't know if I'll have a job past June of this year.  It's really hard to believe - I have so many friends and co-workers who were laid off and I don't know if I'll ever feel secure in my job (if I'm still here past June) again!  I hope that our patrons and community realize all the incredible things the library offers for FREE and keep funding us. 

I've only been able to take pictures at Sugar Creek and Mint Hill so far, but eventually I will get some pictures of the new Hickory Grove branch and Morrison and put them up too.  The next two posts are my library pictures so far.

No comments: