Thursday, March 05, 2015

My Grandmother

My Grandmother Geraldine Smith, my Dad's Mom, passed away on January 15, 2015.  She was 80 years old and had been suffering from dementia for the past few years.  From 2014-15 she had really gone downhill quickly.  Thankfully we were able to see her the weekend before Christmas not knowing that in only a few weeks she would be gone.  I will miss her, but the grandmother I knew and loved was already mostly gone from the dementia.  That is such a terrible and hard disease.  I know it was really hard on my Dad seeing her like that.  Chad and I were able to stay in Wilmington for a few days around the funeral to be with my Dad.  Here is my grandmother's obituary and some picture from our trip to Wilmington for her funeral.


Geraldine (Gerry) Shipman Smith of Wilmington, NC passed away on Thursday, January 15, 2015, at Lower Cape Fear Hospice and Life Care Center. 
She was born on April 14, 1934, daughter of the late Henry Craven and Daisy Deaton Shipman. She was preceded in death by her husband, Harry Lee Smith, Jr. Surviving are two children; daughter, Lee Ann Smith Rutledge (Denny); son Breck Howard Smith; and four grandchildren Zachary Taylor Rutledge, Craig Smith Rutledge, Jessica Smith Brewer and Fielding Lee Smith.
Gerry graduated from New Hanover High School. She retired from the New Hanover County Schools (Blair Elementary), and was a member of the Winter Park Presbyterian Church. 
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Shriners Hospitals for Children 2900 N. Rocky Point Drive, Tampa, FL 33607, Winter Park Presbyterian Church, 4501 Wrightsville Avenue, Wilmington, NC 28401, or Lower Cape Fear Hospice Foundation, 1414 Physicians Drive, Wilmington, NC 28401. A private service will be held at a later date.






No comments: