Friday, January 03, 2014

Top 10 Books of 2013

I have been keeping track of the books I read each year since 2001.  For the past few years I've also picked my top 10 books that I read that year (5 fiction and 5 non-fiction).  In 2013 I also decided to keep track of how many cookbooks I read too.  In 2013 I read SO many great non-fiction books that I have some honorable mentions to include as well.  I read 88 books in 2013 and here are my top picks:

Top 10 Books of 2013

Fiction

Swimming at Night by Lucy Clarke
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Mouse Guard: the Black Axe by David Petersen
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Non-Fiction

Gun Guys: a road trip by Dan Baum
Bootstrapper: from broke to badass on a northern Michigan farm by Mardi Jo Link
The Ethical Butcher: how thoughtful eating can change your world by Berlin Reed
Lean In: women, work, and the will to lead by Sheryl Sandberg
Comet's Tale: how the dog I rescued saved my life by Steven Wolf

Honorable Mention Non-Fiction

Saved: how I quit worrying about money and became the richest guy in the world by Ben Hewitt
Homeward Bound: why women are embracing the new domesticity by Emily Matchar
Cooked: a natural history of transformation by Michael Pollan
Gaining Ground: a story of farmers' markets, local food, and saving the family farm by Forrest Pritchard
Free Spirit: growing up on the road and off the grid by Joshua Safran

Cookbooks - I read 39 cookbooks in 2013 and these were my favorites

Biscuits by Belinda Ellis (I purchased this one)
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman
Homemade with Love: simple scratch cooking from In Jennie's kitchen by Jennifer Perillo (I purchased this one)
At My Grandmother's Table: heartwarming stories and cherished recipes from the South by Faye Porter
Pure Vanilla:irresistible recipes and essential techniques by Shauna Sever
Southern Fried: more than 150 recipes for crab cakes, fried chicken, hush puppies, and more by James Villas

No comments: