Tuesday, September 06, 2011

August Garden update

Well, we got a LOT of squash and zucchini this year, but some of our other plants were quickly overshadowed by the squash plants.  They grew so big so quickly that other things planted in the same bed didn't have a chance.  The cucumber plants did manage to get through all the zucchini and thrive - until some type of worm began eating them all on the vine.  I have to say my biggest accomplishment this year with our garden was that we were NOT defeated by the squash bugs!  I was definitely on the lookout for them and almost daily I would look for egg patches and squash bugs to kill them - I said that Chad & I were squash bug vigilantes.  We did still have some squash bugs, but not the infestation we had last year, so to me that's a big accomplishment - and I think the fact that we got more squash and zucchini shows that as well.

Unfortunately our second garden at Chad's parent's house did not fare very well.  It was just so incredibly hot in the early summer and we just couldn't get over there every day to water like we needed to, so everything pretty much shriveled up over there.  We wanted to take advantage of Chad's parent's offer to use their yard, but it's just too hard to maintain a garden that's not at your house, so I don't think we'll try that again.

Here are some pictures from our garden from August 2011:

Here are the garden pests we dealt with this year:

No comments: