Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bats!

We had noticed bat poop on the ground underneath one of the vents on the end of our house - it wasn't every day, but every few days for a few weeks.  Before we went on vacation for 2 weeks I wanted to make sure there weren't bats inside our house!  Chad went up in the attic and saw that there were bats, but NOT inside thankfully.  They were roosting on the screen behind the wooden slats of the vent at the end of our house.  If you looked hard you could see them at certain times of the day from outside.  I got this one decent picture - you still have to look hard to see them!  I've always liked bats even though I know most people are scared of them or think they're gross.  From the Humane Society website I learned that bats raise their young between May and August and that's often when people realize they are roosting on or in their house.  I also learned that a single bat can eat 1,000 mosquito sized insects in ONE hour!  That's reason enough to tolerate a little poop on the ground sometimes!  Here's the one decent picture of our bat friends:




No comments: