Thursday, July 19, 2007

Biological clock ticking...or not...

I just read this article from Newsweek online called "Stop Setting Alarms on my Biological Clock" by Carrie Friedman. Basically the author talks about how much she does want kids, but is very frustrated and irratated with all the people she comes into contact with who want to know when she's going to get pregnant - and basically she says it's none of their business. All the harrassing doesn't really encourage her to want to join the motherhood club that so many people are hard-core recruiting for. It's like I could have written that article, except for the part about really, really wanting kids. I'm still very ambivalent about whether I want to have kids, but I'm really sick of everyone who has kids trying to recruit me into their exclusive club. My husband and I are the only couple I know that doesn't already have kids, is pregnant or actively pursuing pregnancy, adoption, etc. - but many of my friends think that when I hold their newborn I'm going to be suddenly converted to the cult. If we decide to have kids it will be on our terms and because we want to - not because we finally caved to all the pressure from other parents. I think this is a great, very relevant article - click here if you'd like to read it.

2 comments:

Chad B said...

Amen Sista!!!!

gg said...

If you had a kid or two or three then you could post pictures of them. Wouldn't that be more fun than pictures of kitties?